A most rewarding experience
American Legion Boys State is a week-long program that immerses high school youth (currently completing their junior year) in citizenship and leadership training. They learn the practical aspects of government as it exists in New York State, and come to recognize that the individual is integral to the character and success of government. They also participate in physical fitness, teamwork and other activities, under the guidance of American Legion counselors and U.S. Marines.
Boys State will be held from June 24 to June 29, 2018 at SUNY Morrisville State College in Morrisville, NY.
If you or a youth you know would like to apply, contact your local American Legion Post to inquire about sponsoring you to Boys State. Once a Post agrees to sponsor you, you will receive a notification to go ahead and submit the online application to this year’s Boys State program.
Look over the information packet (below). Once the online application is completed, print out a copy and then hit the “submit” button.
Download the Commitment/Certification Statement and Physical Exam Certificate (doc and PDF versions available).
The Commitment statement must be signed by applicant and parent or guardian, and notarized. The Certification form has to be completed and certified by a school official. Page 1 of the Physical Exam Certificate must be completely filled out, including the emergency notification section, and signed by the candidate/alternate’s parent or guardian. A current year physical that documents all required information may be attached to the form to fulfill the physician’s section on page 2. (This must be an actual physical signed by a person qualified to perform physical examinations and must have been performed within one year prior to June 29, 2018) You will need to deliver a copy of the completed application, the Commitment Form, Certification Form and Physical Exam Certificate, with original signatures, to the sponsoring American Legion Post.
It is recommended you read the Boys State Handbook.
If applying for the SAMSUNG SCHOLARSHIP, the application may be filled out online at https://www.legion.org/samsung-scholarship-application
Complete the online Boys State application (see link below):
- All citizen information must be provided.
- All parent information must be provided.
- All sponsoring American Legion Post information must be provided.
- Once the application is completely filled out, press Ctrl P to print a copy, then press the Submit button to send the application to The American Legion Department of New York.
- After submitting application, if you find a mistake was made on the application, do not submit another application. Make corrections on the printed application and the information will be updated when received at American Legion Headquarters.
2018 Online application (Note: D.O.B. must include 4-digit year; e.g. 1998.)
- 2018 Information_Packet (doc)
- 2018 Information_Packet (PDF)
- 2018 Certification Commitment Statement (doc)
- 2018 Certification Commitment Statement (PDF)
- 2018 Physical Exam Certificate (doc)
- 2018 Physical Exam Certificate (PDF)
- Checklist of Items to Bring to Boys State (doc)
- Checklist of items to bring to Boys State (PDF)
- 2018 Boys State Schedule (PDF)
- Boys State 2017 Handbook (PDF)