A most rewarding experience
American Legion Boys’ State is a week-long program that immerses high school youth (currently completing their junior year) in citizenship and leadership training. They learn the practical aspects of government as it exists in New York State, and come to recognize that the individual is integral to the character and success of government.
Boys’ State will be held virtually from June 27 to July 1, 2021.
If you or a youth you know would like to apply, contact your local American Legion Post to inquire about sponsoring you to Boys State. Once a Post agrees to sponsor you, you will receive a notification to go ahead and submit the online application to this year’s Boys State program.
Look over the information packet (below). Once the online application is completed, print out a copy and then hit the “submit” button.
Download the Commitment/Certification Statement (doc and PDF versions available).
The Commitment statement must be signed by applicant and parent or guardian, and notarized. The Certification form has to be completed and certified by a school official. You will need to deliver a copy of the completed application, the Commitment Form and Certification Form, with original signatures, to the sponsoring American Legion Post.
It is recommended you read the Boys’ State Handbook.
If applying for the SAMSUNG SCHOLARSHIP, the application may be filled out online at https://www.legion.org/samsung-scholarship-application
Complete the online Boys’ State application (see link below):
- Do not complete application until you have been approved by your local American Legion Post.
- All citizen information must be provided.
- All parent information must be provided.
- All sponsoring American Legion Post information must be provided.
- Once the application is completely filled out, press Ctrl P to print a copy, then press the Submit button to send the application to The American Legion Department of New York.
- After submitting application, if you find a mistake was made on the application, do not submit another application. Make corrections on the printed application and the information will be updated when received at American Legion Headquarters.
2021 Online application
(Note: D.O.B. must include 4-digit year; e.g. 1998.)
[Application will no longer be available after close-of-business on April 19, 2021.]
- 2021 Information_Packet_ (PDF)
- 2021 Information_Packet_ (Doc)
- 2021 Certification Commitment Statement (fillable PDF)
- 2021 Certification Commitment Statement (doc)
- Boys’ State Schedule (to come)
- Boys’ State Handbook (to come)